What is SALT?
The Spiritual Activist Leadership Training (SALT) program trains, empowers, connects and releases the potential of young adult UU justice leaders. Through development of concrete justice and organizing skills, faith development, spiritual deepening and community building, SALT Fellows engage with justice history and its current leaders and movements. This six month, part-time, non-residential program includes weekend travel for California justice journeys, retreats, theological reflection circles, activist projects, and a monthly mid-week on-line training video-conference. SALT is open to UU young adults in or out of school and is also designed to be accessible to those who are working.
- Connect with justice makers across California.
- Develop concrete faith-based leadership, fundraising, and community organizing skills.
- Deepen their connection to our UU faith and communities.
- Experience managing a group and individual justice projects.
- Discover spiritual practices that help them to stay energized and engaged for the long haul.
- Enjoy fun with young adults from across California.
- Deepen their understanding of California’s people, justice history, geography and current issues.
- Develop mutual mentoring relationships and build a network of UU friends who are advocates for justice.
What Kind of Commitment is Involved?
SALT is a part-time program requiring sustained focus over the six months Fellows are participating in it. There is reading, reflection, mentor check-ins and work to be done between group events. Much of the work requires participants to be self-starters and motivated to succeed. Fellows must be accountable not only to themselves, but to the SALT cohort and the partner organizations we work with. Prospective Fellows should plan on one weekend a month and a few hours each week being dedicated to the SALT program.
What Kind of Program or Curriculum is Involved?
SALT is experientail learning, reading and reflection, leadership skill-building, mentorship and collaborative development all wrapped in one. Click here for more information on this unparalleled education.